Welcome to Challenger Middle School!

Check Your Address to Find Your Neighborhood School

Please look at the district's School Finder website to check your address in order to find your neighborhood school.

My Student Lives Within Challenger's Neighborhood Boundaries
Please look at the information listed below for instructions registering new students to the district and students previously enrolled in the district.  All students must have a completed registration packet and required documents on file to complete registration.

Live Out of the Neighborhood?

If you do not live within the Challenger neighborhood boundaries and would like to have your child's name on a waitlist, please complete an Enrollment Options application.  The application period is usually in the fall for the upcoming school year. If you are new to the district or you have moved after the application period, you may submit an application even though the application period might be over.  An application does not guarantee enrollment - it only places your child's name on the waitlist.  After waitlists have been released, we will contact parents as openings become available.

For Students New to the District Only - Online Registration Available

The San Diego Unified School District has a new way for families to enroll their students when they move into the district. Parents and guardians can now complete an online enrollment form for Challenger.  After submitting the online enrollment form, please contact Challenger's registrar, Tamra Winchell, at [email protected]. You can upload the documents listed below in the online application or email them to [email protected]

For Any Student Registering at Challenger

Please contact registrar, Tamra Winchell, at [email protected] 

Required Documents

1. Proof of birth (birth certificate or baptismal record)

2. Copy of complete immunization record with dates - click for more information immunization requirements

Please note: A new California state law requires students to have a new booster shot called Tdap to protect them from Pertussis (Whooping Cough) which is an epidemic in California. Students in grades 7-12 who do not have this new shot will not be allowed to start school until it has been updated.

3. Current report card, transcript, or withdrawal grades

4. Copy of one of the following documents to establish residence with in Challenger's neighborhood area:

  • a recent utility bill (gas, electricity, land-line phone, water or cable)
  • a rental agreement
  • property tax payment receipts
  • mortgage documents
  • military housing orders

There are additional requirements for a student who is living with a guardian or living at a residence where the parent or guardian is not the owner or renter of the property. Please call Tamra Winchell at 858-302-3000, extension 3022 or email [email protected] to determine what documents you need.

Additional Documents You May Need - Please also bring the following if they apply to your child:

  • IEP for students in the Special Education Program
  • Gifted Test Results (GATE Program)
  • 504 Plan

If you do not have some of the documents listed above, your child's previous school may be able to help you.

5th Graders at Hickman, Sandburg and Salk
In most cases, if your child attends one of these schools and resides within Challenger's neighborhood boundaries, articulation to Challenger is automatic.  If you have any concerns about registration for your fifth grader, you may call Tamra Winchell at 858-302-3000, extension 3022 or [email protected].

If you have any questions about registration, please contact Challenger's Counseling Secretary, Tamra Winchell at [email protected] or 858-302-3000, extension 3022 or [email protected].

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.